- Application of Cultured Myotubes to Medical Engineering: The facilities of clean area enable cell culture experiments. Cells are used for each research project.
- Effect of Magnetic Field on Cell Culture: Magnetic field at low frequency might change normal cells to cancer cells. Electro-magnetic field generated from cellular phone might damage biological tissue. Effect of magnetic field on cells is measured using Helmholtz Coil. Another experimental system is designed with a mobile phone.
- Application of Laser Technique to Bio-measurement: Laser technique is applied to measure biological state of tissue. The reflected laser light might include biological information.
- Measurement of Impedance of Biological Tissue: Local properties might control biological activity in the tissue. Local impedance is measured with a specially designed electrode.
- Effect of Shear flow on Endothelial Cells: Cells on the inner surface of a prosthetic vessel tube are observed under an optical microscope exposed controlled pulsatile flow of culture medium. The results are applied to design a blood flow path of artificial vessels or artificial blood pumps.
- Effect of Shear Field on Red Blood Cell Deformation: A red blood cell has great deformability to pass through microcirculation. Red blood cells can be damaged by an artificial blood pump. The deformed shape is measured under an optical microscope with the Rheoscope of counter rotating discs.
- Application of Functional Microstructured Surface to Biomedical Engineering: A micro slit between micro columns has been made by photolithography technique. Biological cells can be filtered through the micro slit in collaboration with Medical School.
|Topics of research||
|keyword||Biomechanics / Biorheology / Aritificial Organs / Biomeasurement|